Friday, September 24, 2010

MORE video to cheer you up...

I was just writing about Eric Idle in my other blog... and I thought that this video was most appropriate.

Plus it's 2:00 AM and I can't sleep.


I could put a million Eric Idle/Monty Python videos up on this blog and ALL of them would be great for topic starters. When I think that I'm getting to narrow-minded and self-centered, I don't necessarily think of the ever expanding Universe, but how privileged I am to not be starving in a hut somewhere without clean water... Heck, I don't even have to go that far. There are plenty of people loitering outside the Ralph's by my house who have problems I can't even imagine.

When my belief in a god first started to crack, I clung to the belief of Kurt Vonnegut's "God, the Utterly Indifferent." That's the concept of a creator who did its job and then walked away. A non-personal god that has no influence on daily life. Because how could I believe in any god that allowed millions of people to starve or be exploited or abused? I think that to believe in a god that interferes on your behalf, just because you're a lucky or privileged person is selfish, narcissistic, or at least utterly deluded and naive. But then, I let go of the idea of that kind of god, as well. 

Obviously, that was just a safety blanket. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a place for thoughtful discussion or humor, not attacks. If you disagree, please keep it polite. If you wouldn't say it that way in person, don't post it. We're not that angry here. And lighten up. Thanks!